Hello, we are the S Family, from Monroe, LA. Since 2018, we have been working full-time with our sending organization, Willing To Go. During the years leading up to this transition, 2012-2018, we developed convictions about the Great Commission, the local church, church planting, and the prioritization of Unreached People Groups.
Our vision has been to spend our lives taking the name of Jesus where it has not yet been.
For us that has meant both strengthening and planting churches. We aim to strengthen churches where they exist but are underserved and under-resourced primarily through teaching, training, and theological education. In East Asia, we have partnered with believers and workers in nearby people groups to plant churches where they do not exist and where few to no believers exist. Our local church adopted 4 Unengaged Unreached People Groups and that burden shifted to us, to take the adoption beyond prayer and to see a healthy church planted among at least one of these 4 people groups. Since COVID, I have continued to work on Mandarin and complete a bachelor’s degree so that I can attempt to get a different visa and re-enter the big country.
Until that time comes, God has opened doors for us to work with a team from OMF in Nairobi, Kenya. This team is focused on the approximately 50,000 population of Chinese immigrants residing there. Because work visas typically last for 2-3 years, an important part of the task is to prepare them for their return to China. So this ministry focus is called Diaspora/Returnee Ministry. Between, resuming pastor and leaders training in Central America, I have also been to Kenya 3 times this year. I have made many connections both with Chinese who have never heard the Gospel and are not yet believers and also with our future teammates. I have also been preaching once monthly at their weekly gathering via Zoom. My family was able to join me and we explored a future with the team there for 3 weeks in June.
Under the supervision and in partnership with our local elders from our sending body, The Crossing Church, our sending organization, Willing To Go, and the team on the field, OMF, the Sharp family is planning to join this ministry. We are committing to work for at least one year starting in the summer of 2023 and remaining through that entire school year. There is so much more to tell you about the particulars of this ministry. Please reach out if you would like to know more.
3 main goals in Nairobi
1. I intend to test at advanced mid-high in Mandarin at the end of that year.
2. We want to faithfully partner in making disciples and serving alongside the team there with those Jesus sees fit to put under our care and within our influence.
3. Most importantly, we desire to continue growing as a family intentionally discipling each other and growing in love for one another together on the field in this new cross-cultural environment.
We are willing to go, would you be willing to go with us through prayer and giving?
3 Ways to Partner:
• Give. We are always appreciative of partners who donate monthly. We are also currently raising $5,000 for our “launch goal.” This expense covers airfare and international insurance for the ladies. Monthly partners are always appreciated and needed.
Check: Made out to: Willing To Go
Memo: S001 Mail to:
Willing To Go
PO Box 36
Rock Spring, GA 30739
• Go. We would love to host some teams while there. Please reach out by email (email listed below) if you are interested in visiting or going on another short-term trip!
• Pray. We desperately need your prayers and want to stay in touch. We send out a monthly newsletter and text with stories and prayer points. We also have a private Facebook group for those interested in keeping up that way. Just text.
Thanks for praying and seriously considering partnering with us in ministry!
For His Glory,
The “S” Family